Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rebecca Sorensen " A day in the life"


I often get the question- What is your training and life like while living at an OTC?I think that the general public gets the idea that we train all day long and they just can’t seem to wrap around that idea and that’s why they ask. Well, the answer is yes we do train most of the day, but not in the way people are thinking. My day, for instance, starts when I wake up approx. 7am. Sometimes, I am awakened by USADA for a drug test at or before 7am. So far, I have been tested 3 times since I took residence here in May at the Colorado Springs OTC. All in all I have been tested less than 10 times in my 6 years of sliding. I like to be awake for training at nine so I have a special blended breakfast in my room and watch the Today Show and check emails. I drink a mixture of raw milk, frozen fruit, yogurt, oat bran, protein powder, cinnamon, acai, chia seeds, flax, soaked almonds and a occasional liquid shot of B12. I also take some vits/ minerals/oils if need be- both morning and night. Training in general, consists of running and lifting.Running workouts include a 25 min warmup, several drills and stretches, several reps of the running workout, misc stairs, sled pulls/pushes, broad jumps, bounds, starts and hills sprints. Once the run is complete for the morning session, I usually go to sports med to partake in some recovery treatments. After that- it’s lunch time! And after that, I usually rest for about an hour before we meet for our next session. Again, a warm up with drills usually lasting about 20 minutes and then it is time to lift. Every workout is different, but we will lift legs first and end with some upper body and abs. Lift sessions last for 2 hours. Again time for rehab. Maybe a painful massage, or compression pants or cold tub (52 degrees for 15 minutes) or all three. Now it’s almost 5pm. I have dinner early, and get back to my room to do evening work. This may include work for my small business, looking for sponsors, catching up with family and friends, laundry, working on equipment, reviewing track notes and video for the upcoming season and/or a number of other things I have signed up for or have been asked to do. I also try to fit in Olympic University classes, sports psy, meditation classes and research of my own. I always try to be in bed by 9 and asleep my 10. Everyday. So that’s it. I wouldn’t trade it. I love every part of it. I am very grateful for it. ~remember: A leader...removes barriers, acts as a resource and should cheer-lead often.

No comments: