Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nicole De Yong mountain marathon


Staying Tuned

It is difficult to consider summer the “off-season” for skiing when the majority of my training hours are logged during this time! This summer I am making an effort to do two races/time trials a month to stay in-tune with racing. I believe racing is a good way to remind your body how to push itself and what it feels like to push yourself.

Today I ran a 10 mile race called the Back Country Run. It is a tough race with almost 2000 feet of elevation gain. It is the type of grade that is difficult to run, but too slow to walk. While I ran a majority of it, there were a few steep places where it was faster for me to “ski walk.” Ski walking is a brisk hiking pace.

Even though the race did not go as well as I hoped, it was a good workout. There is no better way to get a solid workout, than racing! Many times, it is the racing that makes you faster! After a tough week of training, my legs felt heavy and slow on the uphill. I did not have my usual “light feet” feel. While it’s easy to get down on myself about having a poor race, I am reminding myself that it is July and I want to be fast come November, when the racing season begins.

All in all, racing is a good way to keep my body tuned. I am hoping to do a couple races in August to keep up with my monthly racing.

No comments: