Monday, August 3, 2009

Jennifer Rodriguez- In Vancouver


Well, I'm still in Vancouver at my training camp and things have been going very well. Two weeks now on the ice and I'm finally starting to feel normal out there again. Actually I already have a much better feeling on my skates than last year. Speedskating is such a "feel" sport, so I'm glad to be getting my feel back!

My hip is also doing a lot better. I was actually able to do a few starts yesterday. I was very nervous about how it would respond, but so far so good. I think with continued therapy I should be able to get through this season with few problems...I hope.

Last Sunday, I was able to check out a little bit of Vancouver. An old skating friend of mine came to town to visit, so a few of us did a little sightseeing. We checked out some market place, Stanley Park and where the Olympic is going to be. Its still under construction, but it looks nice. It sits right along the river.

The Kazakhstan arrived here over the weekend. I actually have a Russian friend who trains with them, so I'm pretty excited. the Japanese and Koreans are here as well. Its always fun to see the other countries training. Its great motivation, plus since we are a small sport, its kind of like a family environment. We don't actually race one another, we race the clock. So that competitiveness against athletes is not really there like in most sports. We are a time trial sport...it makes a big difference.

Tomorrow we begin the long process of selecting our team pursuit team. We will have a number of camps to narrow down the selection. So we'll see how the first camp goes.

Anyway, I head back to Utah on Sunday. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again, but its been a great camp. Its always good for team bonding.

Ciao everyone!!!

jen

No comments: